- 1-1/2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 minced garlic clove
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 6 tbsp of your favourite barbecue sauce
- 4 ounces spreadable creamy goat cheese
- 8 strips cooked bacon
- 4 whole wheat buns
- Desired toppings such as sliced tomatoes, pickles, red onion slices, relish, ketchup, mustard, lettuce
In a medium bowl add meat, garlic, onion and pepper. Mix until just combined; Divide into four balls, and gently form into 1″ thick patties; refrigerate for one to two hours. Prepare an outdoor barbecue grill for high heat. Lightly brush both sides of each patty with some of the olive oil and place on grill. Cook for 5-7 minutes on each side until cooked through. Brush 1/2 of the barbecue sauce on burgers and cook for 1 additional minute; flip burgers, spread with remaining sauce and cook for another 1 minute until sauce has carmelized. Remove from heat; spread with goat cheese and top with bacon. Serve on buns with your favourite toppings. Makes 4 servings.
Note: you can use old or very old cheddar cheese in place of the goat cheese and grate 1/3 cup of cheddar. You can also slice the cheddar to your desired thickness (not too thick though) and place it on the burger until it melts, then add the cooked bacon and serve.