- 4 cups green beans, ends removed and cut into 1-2 inch lengths
- ½ cup sliced fennel bulb
- ½ medium red onion thinly sliced
- 1 fresh tomato, seeds and excess pulp removed and chopped
- 2 Tbspns freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 Tbspns extra virgin olive oil
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Slice onion and let sit for 5-10 minutes to bring out its health-promoting properties. Bring water to a boil in a steamer with a tight fitting lid. Cut ends off beans and slice fennel and onion. Steam beans and onion together for about 3 minutes, and add the fennel. Steam for another 2 minutes. Drain well and pat with paper towel so any excess water does not dilute taste. Toss with rest of ingredients. Makes 2 servings.