- 1 bunch fresh radishes, cleaned with the root ends trimmed
- 7 tablespoons unsalted butter at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons red onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh celery, minced
- 1 medium sized whole-wheat baguette
- Coarse sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
Preheat the oven to 375 F. Grate the radishes on the large holes of a hand held grater; place on paper towels, and squeeze out the excess liquid. Combine radishes and butter in a small bowl; mix well. Add remaining ingredients and mix well. Slice baguette in half lengthwise, and place in oven; toast until crisp and browned. Remove from oven, and cool slightly. Spread radish mixture on toasted baguette; season with salt and pepper. Slice each half into four pieces, and serve. Makes 4 servings.
This spread is also delicious as an appetizer spooned into Belgian endive lettuce leaves, spread onto various flatbreads or as an aside to a grilled steak or salmon.