- 10 to 12 small fresh beets
- 1/4 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar or white wine vinegar
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup fresh flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 2 oranges, peeled and sectioned
- 4 Tbspns extra virgin olive oil
Place the beets in a pot of cold water and bring to a boil. Simmer the beets until they are tender when pierced with the tip of a sharp knife, about 30 to 40 minutes. Drain and let cool. Meanwhile, place the sliced onions in a medium sized heatproof bowl. In a small saucepan, bring the vinegar, to a boil and simmer for about 2 minutes. Pour the vinegar over the onions and set aside. When the beets are cool enough to handle, peel them, cut them into wedges and toss them with the onions. Season this salad with sea salt and pepper. Transfer the beets and onions, along with their liquid to a serving bowl. Garnish the salad with orange sections. Drizzle the salad with extra virgin olive oil and serve. Makes 6 servings.