- 12 ripe Roma tomatoes
- 2/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, finely chopped
- ¾ cup fresh chives, chopped
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
Choose a dozen firm, red, ripe Roma tomatoes. Wash them well with water. Cut each tomato in half lengthwise and place on a baking sheet with cut side up. Drizzle a bit of extra virgin olive oil on each half tomato. Sprinkle lightly with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. Sprinkle finely chopped fresh basil and chives on each tomato half. Preheat oven and set your oven to broil mode. When oven is ready, sprinkle a generous amount of Parmesan cheese on the prepared tomatoes. Place underneath a preheated broiler for 4 to 5 minutes and remove when the Parmesan cheese has melted. Serve tomatoes as an appetizer or a mouth-watering side dish with a main entrée. Makes 6 servings.